Friday, March 16, 2012

Somen Salad & Studying galore!

Alright, so I've been trying to motivate myself to study for my last finals ever, but it's definitely not going as great as I had hoped. Today, I had my last lecture at UCLA as an undergrad. Wow. I can't believe 4 years have gone by so quickly. I know I have so much to look forward to, but wow.

So to pass the time and get my mind of off Nathan being gone, I'm trying out new things. So cooking is one thing that I'm trying to get into! I was looking through my pantry and I knew I had a lot of left overs that I could use, and I decided to make some SOMEN SALAD!

Here is the recipe I got off the internet: Somen Salad!

So I started out with a few simple ingredients.
-Somen noodles
-Green Onion ( I cut them up ahead of time and then froze them in little 1 serving packets so they don't go bad as easily. Trick that my mom taught me!)
- Lettuce
- Spinach (something new I tried)
-Cucumber
-2 Eggs

Ingredients for the salad

Dressing
- Vegetable Oil
-Soy Sauce
- rice vinegar
- Sesame Seeds
- Mirin (instead of sugar)
- a touch of salt
dressing!
So first things first, I boil the noodles. You usually want to take them out a little earlier, because if you over cook Somen noodles, its really nasty. And somen cooks FAST.
Already soft!

Rinse in cold water! Or else they'll get really clumpy and gross
So while I cool my noodles, I cut up all my ingredients. Now, I still need to work on my cutting skills, so the cucumbers were a little chunky. haha But i chopped up the lettuce and added some spinach slices. I wish I had ham or cha-shu, but I was too lazy to go buy some, so I just kept it a veggie somen salad.
chunky! hehe
Then after I cut up the veggies, I made the eggs. Basically I just heat up the pan, beat the 2 eggs and then pour it into the pan. Then when it seems slightly cooked, I fold one side over so its like an omelette. Everyone has their own way of cooking the eggs.
not as pretty as I wanted it...

nom nom slices!
Lastly, you just put everything in the bowl, add the dressing (which I made separately) and then mix! Such a simple dinner, but so yummy!
before I stirred it all up

mixing with a shamoji!

Dinner is served
I feel like picking up a new hobbie is healthy, and how can you not love cooking! My next challenge is healthy homemade mac and cheese :) Haven't heard from my love for a few days, but I'm always praying for him. Little things make me think of him, like passing by Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, or stupid things he used to get mad at me for, or doing absolutely nothing and being SO happy. I just want time to fly by so much faster than it has been. I can't wait to send him his second care package!!!

Alright time to study/watch Happy Feet Two hehe.

Lots of Love & Semper Fi <3

No comments:

Post a Comment